This Christmas, use this gift guide for new mothers (not the baby) to find a gift she actually wants.
If you’re anything like me, choosing gifts for people is fun but also has a certain level of overwhelm. This Christmas, let me take some of the guesswork out of it. Whether it’s an item to pamper her, a special experience she would enjoy, or something practical to make her day to day life easier, you’ll find something for her on this Christmas gift guide for new mothers (not the baby) I’ve put together.
To Pamper Her…
- A good quality hand cream. Changing diapers/nappies constantly means constantly washing your hands. If you add breastfeeding to the mix, a new mama can have dry chapped hands. This hand cream has pure ingredients and good reviews!
- A good quality lip balm. In the same way that a new mama’s hands can be chapped, her lips can be too. Having a fresh or fruity scent and the relief of hydrated lips can give her a nice boost any time she needs it. This set is one of my favourites.
- Bath Bombs. Baths are so healing and stress relieving to a new mama’s body and soul. Give her a fun reason to take a bath with this lovely bath bomb set.
- Nail polish/lacquer OR a gift card to get a mani/pedi. I know how much more human I feel when my nails and toes are painted. Sienna Byron Bay has some beautiful non toxic polish. You can buy them in sets or individual colours. I also love that the handles are made from recycled wood. (psst…I just ordered this set for my stocking). If getting out is a better option, find a nail salon with a good reputation and buy her a gift card for a couple hours to enjoy the experience. Sometimes salons even have the option of adding extras like a hot stone massage or paraffin wax treatments.
- An awesome diaper/nappy bag. After four kids and many different bags, a backpack style bag has been the most practical and well used for me. It’s comfortable, hands free, and the compartments are fantastic. This one is Amazon’s choice and very affordable. Plus, there are many colours and designs to choose from!
- A chunky scarf. If you live where it’s winter for Christmas, this is practical for keeping a new mama warm. It’s also practical if she’s breastfeeding, because it makes a great cover up. And extra brownie bonus points: Any stains on her top caused by motherhood will be well covered with a scarf. Try this one (also comes in many different colours and designs).
- A notebook. While this might sound a little boring, mothers can use notebooks for so many different things. Sleepless nights with our little ones can mean we don’t always remember things as well as we used to, so having a notebook to jot things down in is absolutely brilliant. I love this set of 3 notebooks so the new mama could have it in 3 places she frequents. Bonus points if you pick out some nice pens to go with it.
- Matching robe and swaddle set. This is practical and will make her feel pampered (I couldn’t decide which category to put it under). Double the Sprinkles has many different designs that could be Christmas themed or more feminine depending on the mama.
- Mini Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups. Need I say more?
- Larabars (or another favourite grab and go bar). These are great when the new mama is running out the door to an appointment. She could even pop them in her bag so she doesn’t have to worry about making sure to pack a snack.
- Bliss balls. These are easy to make (all you need is a food processor), easy to freeze, and easy for a new mama to eat while nursing. This is my favourite recipe.
- Lactation cookies. These cookies aren’t made with breastmilk, they are made to increase milk supply. If you know a new mama who’s struggling with supply, it’s pretty easy to whip up a bunch of these cookies. Mama Natural has a great recipe. Alternatively, you can buy some (although they are on the pricey side).
- A nice set of coloured pencils or gel pens. Adult coloring books are such an easy way for mamas to relax and do something for themselves. I have raved about them many times and even have designed some free coloring pages for mamas. If you want to encourage your mama friend to make some time for creativity, a set of coloured pencils or gel pens and a coloring book (or print my coloring pages) are a wonderful gift.
- Willow Tree figurines. There are so many beautiful figurines to illustrate the beauty of family and the seasons of life. This one would be a beautiful gift for Christmas.